The Benefits of Belonging to SAIA
The benefits provided through National SAIA Membership are numerous. The following information highlights some of the most important member benefits.
SAIA was instrumental in facilitating the drafting and implementation of the SAIA and regional constitutions which bring rationale and form to the organisation.
- Ensuring the protection of the architectural profession resulting from, for example, regulatory changes and the changing responsibilities of other professions and role players in the built environment.
- Engaging with the three tiers of government, where conflict is resolved through dialogue between key role players in the built environment thereby facilitating a more conducive operating environment for architects.
- The National Department of Public Works, the cidb, the CBE and others.
- Provincial and local authorities
- Ensuring our members benefit from our partnerships in the built environment including JBCC and PROCSA.
- Engaging with the South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP) where we:
- Work together with SACAP to find solutions to challenges; but also
- Assert ourselves within the SACAP structures to protect members’ interests.
Professional Development Opportunities for Members
- Validating and advertising appropriate CPD courses to members
- Negotiating discounted rates for courses and conferences
- Organising Conventions
- Providing important and insightful Practice Advisories
- Answering member queries regarding practice matters
- Publishing the SAIA Practice Guidelines and proformas for use by SAIA Practices
- Providing a Fee Calculator as a software tool to assist SAIA practices in calculating fees
Keeping Members Abreast of Current News in Architecture and Happenings at SAIA
- Annual Reports
- Awards Booklets
- Arch SA, Journal of the South African Institute of Architects
- Digest of South African Architecture
- SAIA’s website (saia.org)
- Social Media
- Events; Inaugurations, AZA, Conventions (AGM)
- Conducting general and practice surveys to help SAIA remain in touch with member needs and those of the profession
Additional Benefits on Offer
- Eligibility for professional indemnity insurance through APIGIS at discounted rates.
- Legal and Tax advice through Solace for a nominal sum.
- Eligibility to enter the Corobrik SAIA Awards of Merit and for Excellence.
- Eligibility to enter the AfriSam SAIA Sustainable Architecture + Innovation Awards.
- Chance to showcase best projects through the Digest of South African Architecture.
Affiliation with International Organisations
- International Union of Architects (UIA)
- African Union of Architects (AUA)
- Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA)
- International Committee for Documentation and Conservation of buildings and sites (DoCoMoMo)
- International Council for Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS)
Transformation in the Profession
- Developing a Transformation Strategy.
- Launching and supporting the Open Architecture programme (a distant learning programme, in conjunction with CPUT, for B-Tech students).
- Launching the Future Architects Bursary programme.
- Support for women in architecture through a variety of initiatives.
By putting together various events, members are able to meet each other as well as various strategic players within the built environment thereby gaining business contacts and enhancing professional relationships.
SAIA’s regions vary in size and in terms of the services they offer members. Here is a list of contact details for each Regional Office to see the benefits each one offers
Promotion and Marketing of Excellent Architecture
- Promoting award winning architecture through various media channels which is also captured in the SAIA publications for posterity.
- Publishing the Awards on our website to enable prospective clients to view award winning projects and contact the architects of projects that appeal to them.
- Placing members under the spotlight, by:
- Providing members with opportunities to serve on game-changing committees.
- Building their profiles by serving as adjudicators on high profile Award panels and SAIA competitions.
- Creating many speaking and media platforms for SAIA architects to shine as thought-leaders.
- Recognising outstanding service to the profession by SAIA members and those supporting architects and architecture by conferring the following Awards:
- Gold Medal for Architecture
- Medal of Distinction
- Architectural writers and critics’ Award
- Research Awards
- Architectural writers and critics’ awards
- Research Awards
- Life Membership
- Honorary Membership
- Honorary Fellowship
- Upholding the SAIA Code of Ethics, so prospective clients of SAIA Architects can feel reassured when engaging with our members.
- Providing a search engine on our website to enable potential clients to search for and find a suitable SAIA architect.
- Publishing the names and telephone numbers of members in the Professions and Projects Register to attract prospective clients.
- Encouraging SAIA Practices to use the SAIA logo on their stationery, as well as letters of designation for different membership categories. (See constitution for further details).
SAIA Regional Offices
SAIA Border Kei
Telephone: +27 (0) 43 748 1156
Telephone: +27 (0) 15 291 5914